The DDOS attack on DYN & RRL ?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Oct 31 15:27:06 UTC 2016

On 2016/10/31 14:53, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 10:25 AM, Matthew Seaman
> <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:
>> This despite the fact that Dyn has a global anycast network with
>> plenty of bandwidth, points of presence all round the world and
>> each POP contains a bunch of top-of-the-line servers.
>
> It seems to me that anycast is probably much worse in the Mirai botnet
> scenario unless each node is pretty much as robust as a traditional
> unicast node.

I couldn't really say whether unicast is more or less resistant to this
sort of attack -- I'd guess either way it would be down to the capacity
at each individual node.

It was Dyn's USA POPs that bore the brunt of the attack, presumably
because most of the Mirai bots were located in the USA.  Even so, it
still caused us plenty of grief in Europe.  Apparently the effects were
fairly minimal in the Far East.

	Cheers,

	Matthew