BIND9 DNSSEC algorithm rollover for inline-signed zone

Sebastian Wiesinger sebastian at karotte.org
Mon Oct 10 11:51:46 UTC 2016

* Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> [2016-10-10 12:36]:
> I thought the algorithm rollover process is required to be: introduce new
> ZSK and KSK and sign the zone; wait for old records to expire; flip the DS
> from old to new; wait for old DS to expire; delete old ZSK and KSK and
> RRSIGs. A double-DS algorithm rollover will cause your zone to go bogus.

I did the "double DS" approach, first publish new KSK/ZSK, wait for
Zone TTLs, then a second DS was introduced. The zone looked like this:

http://dnsviz.net/d/blau.beer/V_tTtQ/dnssec/

After the DS TTL expired I removed the old DS, so the zone now looks
like this:

http://dnsviz.net/d/blau.beer/V_t2Hg/dnssec/

Last step will be after DS TTL expires (again) removing the old KSK
and ZSK.

It seems to work. After doing this I discovered that the .tz TLD did
it the same way:

https://singapore52.icann.org/en/schedule/mon-tech/presentation-ksk-algorithm-09feb15-en.pdf

Regards

Sebastian

--
GPG Key: 0x93A0B9CE (F4F6 B1A3 866B 26E9 450A  9D82 58A2 D94A 93A0 B9CE)
            -- Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant