[Question] zone transfer not happening

Eoin Kim Eoin.Kim at rcst.com.au
Fri Oct 7 06:05:32 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help me to find the cause of the problem I am currently having. I am playing with BIND on my lab environment. The configuration is using views and what I want to achieve is having the same domain name be resolved differently depending on the query source. For example, queries from internal view clients gives a.b.c.d IP address, whereas from external view clients gives e.f.g.h IP address.

So, all zone data files were created and when I restarted BIND the zone transfer happens except for one zone - reverse zone for external view. I checked the log file and it shows the following message.

general: info: zone 10.16.172.IN-ADDR.ARPA/IN/EXTERNAL: refresh: unexpected rcode (NXDOMAIN) from master 10.10.10.11#53 (source 0.0.0.0#0)

Both DNS servers are in internal view and I believe this situation is related to this fact. Because the DNS server is sitting behind a router which is doing NAT, I really would like to make this happen. Willing to show my configuration if necessary. Can someone please help? Thank you.

Eoin Kim
Systems Administrator

RCS Telecommunications
Level 1, 133 Mary Street