debug SERVFAIL

Per olof Ljungmark peo at intersonic.se
Sun Oct 2 21:24:17 UTC 2016

On 2016-10-02 22:09, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 02.10.2016 um 22:04 schrieb Maile Halatuituia:
>> how about nslookup with set debug option i think would do
>
> besides the fact that when you think "nslookup" is the solution for
> anything you don't know your problem you did not understand my simple
> question:
>
> "dig" or "nslookup" or whatever is just a client talking to a dns server
> on port 53 - that's it - it won't debug your server and if it would be
> able to do so your server would leak informations classified as security
> hole which needs to be closed

Why don't you try to be helpful instead of telling everybody they are
idiots?

I think most people on the list *knows* that "dig" and "nslookup" are
just clients - but we also know that sending a query can generate useful
information in both the server log and the command line.

My first question was:
"What is the best way to debug a SERVFAIL problem?"
You did not answer it, and with the use of dig and reading the server
logs I fixed it myself.