debug SERVFAIL

Per olof Ljungmark peo at intersonic.se
Sun Oct 2 19:25:12 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 2016-10-02 20:41, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 02.10.2016 um 20:32 schrieb Per olof Ljungmark:
>> On 2016-10-02 19:22, Nico CARTRON wrote:
>>> Hi Per,

>>> I just checked one of my FreeBSD servers and couldn't find this
>>> section/recommendation.
>>> If I'm not mistaken the default named.conf does include hints and
>>> also RFC1918 in-addr.arpa, not more.
>>
>> The default is the hints file yes, but the default (named.conf.sample)
>> file does have the following lines, at least with 9.10 and it uses the
>> word "advantages" for the alternative config which obviously does not
>> work in all cases. It adds "Use with caution" though.
>
> well, indepenent what some comments pretend with our without warnings -
> *never* ever slave a zone where don't know the admin on the other side
> in person because there is no guarantee that tomorrow a transfer is
> allowed even if it's today
>
> hence the "this method requires more monitoring"
>
> that means: if you can't monitor or even don't know how to monitor and
> don't fully understand leave your fingers from it

Thank you for all good advices, but I cannot refrain from commenting on
the fact that nobody answered my real question, namely,

A tip on how to generate debug output from "dig", in particular when
investigating SERVFAIL. In my stupidity I though asking on this list
would generate better answers than Google but it did not.

Anyway, problem fixed, all happy.