NEVERMIND! (was: Strange intermittent resolution)

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Fri May 27 19:56:49 UTC 2016

In message <56796.1464377963 at server1.tristatelogic.com>, I wrote:

>Over the past week or more, I have occasionally tried to drop
>in and read the forum discussions on this one particular site:
>
>  www.amlinuxmedia.com
>
>Strangely, my own local name server seems to be able to resolve
>that name only intermittently...

Nevermind!  Sorry for wasting everybody's time.

I found the problem, and it is indeed on amlinuxmedia.com's end.

In the root servers for .com, the name servers for amlinuxmedia.com
are listed as ns{1,2}.hothostinginc.com and those are both up and
running fine.

Unfortunately, if you ask either of those servers anything about
amlinuxmedia.com or its subdomains, THEY say that the name servers
for the domain are ns{1,2}.host-for.com and those servers are apparently
down.

Thus, I can resolve all links of the form:

     http://amlinuxmedia.com/...

but of I try to follow any link of the form:

    http://www.amlinuxmedia.com/...
           ^^^

failure ensues.