New BIND Releases 9.9.9-P1 and 9.10.4-P1 (was: "Re: BIND 9.10.4 may have a fatal crash defect.")

Michael McNally mcnally at isc.org
Wed May 25 23:21:04 UTC 2016

On 5/17/16 11:08 PM, Michael McNally wrote:

> Though this flaw can occur with any compiler, it's substantially more
> likely to lead to a crash when BIND is compiled on the x86_64 platform
> using the 'clang' compiler and a difference in the node structure between
> BIND 9.9 and 9.10 makes the failure more likely to occur in BIND 9.10.
> However, operators who are running one of the affected versions (BIND 9.9.9,
> BIND 9.10.4, or BIND 9.9.9-S1) should replace those versions as soon as
> updated releases are available.
>
> Having identified what we believe to be the root cause, we are currently,
> with the help of some volunteers who were previously experiencing crashes
> in their operational environments, testing a candidate fix with (so far)
> good results.  If no further failures occur, we expect to issue patch
> releases for all of the April 28 releases (BIND 9.9.9, BIND 9.10.4, and
> BIND 9.9.9-S1)

New versions of BIND which contain a fix to prevent the red/black tree (RBT)
race condition which was causing INSIST assertions in BIND 9.10.4 (and could
potentially also have occurred in 9.9.9 and 9.9.9-S1) have been released.

The public releases are available through the ISC website,
https://www.isc.org/downloads

In addition to the fix to prevent the RBT assertions, the new releases
also contain changes to the Windows builds, correcting a problem which
made installation difficult on some Windows versions due to an
interaction with User Account Control (UAC) and and fixing a bug that
could cause an assertion after an "rndc stats" command (on Windows only.)