Logging question about message 'update-security: error: client update denied'

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue May 17 08:49:34 UTC 2016

On 17.05.16 07:24, Mark Andrews wrote:
>It a UPDATE request being denied.  It will be some process other
>than named sending the request unless you have configured named to
>forward updates.
>
>In the best of worlds every machine would be updating its own PTR
>records and keep its own addresses in the DNS up to date.

depends on the idealness of the world, but I personally don't like allowing
clients to update their DNS records, imho the DHCP server should do those
changes if it assigne the client an IP address

>> Master (10.20.0.110):
>>
>> zone "my.domain" in {
>>         type master;
>>         file "db.my.domain";
>>         allow-transfer {
>>                 10.20.0.100/32;
>>                 10.20.0.101/32;
>>         };
>>         allow-update {
>>                 key "xcat_key";
>>         };
>>         notify yes;
>>         also-notify {10.20.0.100; 10.20.0.101;};
>> };

apparently the client who asks for update does not know the "xcat_key".

...many windows machines tend to register their name in DNS (it's
on by default in netowrk settings).

"They say when you play that M$ CD backward you can hear satanic messages."
"That's nothing. If you play it forward it will install Windows."