NOTAUTH errors in a hidden Master with two Slaves setup

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri May 6 23:49:29 UTC 2016

In message <C5A2E8F9-E1FE-46DF-93D4-8E63D57154E3 at if.ufrj.br>, =?utf-8?B?Vmluw61jaXVzIEZlcnLDo2
8=?= writes:
> Hello Mark,
>
> Sorry for this :(
> I was thinking thats a rule on the list since everyone does this on the
> list. Sorry again.

No.  It's not a rule.  It's clinical paranoia about letting any
details slip out on the part of some participants (or their bosses).
No one is reading this list to find out the internal details of
your network.  All it does do is make giving advice harder.  It
doesn't make your network "safer".  About the only thing we don't
want to see is TSIG secrets and if you do publish them accidentally
you just need to generate new ones.  Even then there are times when
even that detail is needed.

You will also see people regularly saying, provide us unobscured
details.

It like going to a mechanic and saying I have a problem and not
telling them every detail of the problem you are observing.  You
are just making their job harder and wasting both their and your
own time.

Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org