Forward record for WWW

Cuttler, Brian R. (HEALTH) brian.cuttler at health.ny.gov
Thu May 5 19:30:01 UTC 2016

Ralf, All,

Sorry, there was a brief side discussion. A couple of years ago we implemented a test server, same platform (in this case cloned virtual systems) with same source tables and config, running in the same environment, in this case my DMZ.

Because I didn't want to risk damage to the master, as we have corrupted tables and crashed servers, we implement changes on the test server, and if it works as expected we rsync the updated tables to the live master from the test master.

Someone else reported a problem with dig to my server, and I'd thought the list was CC'd, but the test is 199.184.16.7 and is apparently blocked at the FW, as the test master and the actual master both live in the DMZ but the test machine does not normally need to be seen from outside.

My - what an extraordinary result!

Looking again at the SOA from dig, included below we see 1604xxx, an April date "YYMMHHMMSS". When I looked at dig output again a moment ago, I saw a March date, 1603xxx (yes, I have a script that subs that in when I move the tables from the source to the root directory, complex combo of RCS, followed by # SED as RCS doesn't provide integer revision numbers and an # rsync to the directory read by the daemon, all on my test machine. If that all checks out, an rsync from the test machine live (rather than source) directory to the live directory on the actual master server).

In any case, I stopped and started the server, and the A record is now being reported.

So, for reasons I don't understand, the SOA as reported by DIG does not match the SOA serial imbedded in the file and reported by the server log.

We solved my first problem, but I am now very confused by the apparent cause.

I have run the rsync from my test server to my production master, reloaded the tables, reloaded the tables. I see the same SOA as the test server (I rsync the tables with no changes, SOA on my test and production servers is the same), in the named logs, in DIG output, in the source files.

Something is a bit hinky with my test server and I've no idea what.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them, but with your help the issue I was having has been resolved by restarting the server, rather than reloading the zones files.

Many thanks,
Brian