Forward record for WWW

Cuttler, Brian R. (HEALTH) brian.cuttler at health.ny.gov
Thu May 5 15:42:24 UTC 2016

The recent discussion on using a forward (A) record matching the domain name but addressed to the webserver was very timely for our site.

I had recently experimented with this at the request of our webmaster.

On our internal server, running bind 9.9.5-p1, a solaris box, I was able to implement
wadsworth.org IN A 199.184.16.22

And it serves correctly and is functioning as desired.

On our external server, running bind 9.8.2rc1-redhat-9.8.2-0.37.rc1* it does not resolve for me. I see the SOA, a TXT and MX records, but the A record does not resolve.

A small lie. Because I was afraid I'd screw something up I put a TTL value in the record for my external server, but I wouldn't expect that to have caused an issue, and I see no errors when I look at bind's log files.

External record in the zone file is actually
wadsworth.org. 300 IN A 199.184.16.22

Any suggestions as to why this isn't resolving for me and how to correct would be appreciated.

I checked for resolution using both nslookup and dig.

Thank you,
Brian