BIND started replying to queries for .com with .COM

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Mar 30 11:54:43 UTC 2016

On 30/03/2016 12:25, Mark Andrews wrote:

> The recent change was to record and return the learnt case of
> ownernames (to the RRset level) rather than use whatever was used
> to build the red-black tree names.

What is considered the source of the ownername for, say, "com."? One
thing I saw when I was trying to understand this was the results of the
following queries to a cold-cache bind process:

dig @localhost www.microsoft.CoM
dig @localhost www.google.com
dig @localhost www.google.com

I was surprised that #2 and #3 auth/add sections contain the .CoM label
presumably built from #1, and also that #2 and #3 answer sections differ.

None of this is a problem, but I am curious and I couldn't figure it out
from the code!