Reducing memory usage by using db storage - performance?

MURTARI, JOHN jm5903 at att.com
Thu Mar 24 11:27:57 UTC 2016

Folks,
                Recently been looking at servers that host almost 200K ARPA zones and load  about 80 million resource records.  They run on good hardware and take only a few minutes to load the zones on a clean start.   The issue is memory utilization of about 23 Gig in RAM.
                It seems a terrible waste of memory and a good portion of those zones probably rarely see queries.

                I've got extensive experience with mySQL and postgres, but always assumed you'd really take a latency hit.  Plus, we'd be adding more complexity by running a DB server.  The current DNS servers are located in separate data centers - it seems we'd have to also run a master/slave DB setup, with a slave DB server at each site to avoid network overhead.  This all sounds very slow and more complicated.

                Anyone with experience solving this type of issue?
                Many thanks!
John

John Murtari - jm5903 at att.com<mailto:jm5903 at att.com>
Ciberspring