Regarding compiling BIND 9.10.3-p4 on a SystemD Distro

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Wed Mar 23 14:27:48 UTC 2016

It doesn't.   The systemd script either succeeds or fails.   Any script that is dependent on it succeeding won't start.

Again it is a change.

In init you'd see a start had failed (or was hung).

In systemd it simply sends the instruction to start everything that is supposed to start.   The upside of this approach is that the rest of your startup succeeds as it run asynchronously unless you've included a dependency for the thing that failed.    It also means a hung script doesn't stop your boot in its tracks like it did in init.   You can login and troubleshoot things.

The downside is you don't get the pretty display showing OK or FAILED for each script during boot because boot completing is NOT dependent on ALL scripts succeeding.

If it is important to you that certain things be up you need to set up monitoring.  We do that with Nagios here.