DNS Service Discovery

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Mar 14 12:23:07 UTC 2016

On 13/03/16 18:07, David Li wrote:

> We are implementing an enterprise distributed system with many Centos
> 7 servers. Each server or a group of servers may run a different app
> or provide a difference service to others.  These service may come and
> go. The challenge is how to use DNS-SD to let them discover each other
> dynamically.  We do have DHCP and use Dynamic DNS updates.

FWIW I would ask yourself if DNS is even the right choice. If you
control the things doing the discovery and advertisement there are other
(IMO better) alternatives. I like etcd personally, but there's a jillion
key-value stores with service discovery built on top. Google for it.

> I have been researching to see what 's out there or what's the common
> practice. Though this is a pretty common but so far I haven't turned
> up any promising leads. I did find Avahi but not sure if this is one.

Common practice for intra-server service discovery is not to use DNS,
AFAICT.

> Any one has any suggestions?

Well... maybe ask on an appropriate forum. This isn't a bind-specific
set of questions.

Stack overflow or similar may be a better place to start.