strange response to the DS request

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Mar 4 20:23:46 UTC 2016

In message <CAJE_bqc-QFMa_Mi=j1+npauT1U3DeYMFd=_Be8Wf4QBwwQswUw at mail.gmail.com>
, =?UTF-8?B?56We5piO6YGU5ZOJ?= writes:
> At Fri, 4 Mar 2016 14:07:03 +0900,
> Manabu Sonoda <manabu-s at iij.ad.jp> wrote:
>
> > I find the the strange response to the DS request.
> > That response answer type is CNAME.
> >
> > This can happen if Child and Parent zone in same nameserver and
> > Parent zone does not have NS recode for Child zone and
> > Parent zone have CNAME recode with the same name as Child zone.
>
> Do you mean, for example, if you configure a BIND 9 named as follows:
>
> - master zone 'example.com' which has the following CNAME:
>   www.example.com'. CNAME www.example.net.
> - master zone 'www.example.com'
>
> and send a query for www.example.com/DS, then named returns the above
> CNAME?
>
> If so, I agree it looks odd, and we might say it's against Section
> 2.2.1.2 of RFC3658 (if we superficially applied this section the answer
> would be NOERROR-NODATA with the SOA of www.example.com).

No.  The algorithm stops at step 1.  Example.com "holds" the DS
if it existed.

   1) If the nameserver is authoritative for the zone that holds the DS
      RR set (i.e., the zone that delegates <QNAME>, a.k.a. the "parent"
      zone), the response contains the DS RR set as an authoritative
      answer.

There is nothing strange here beyond a missing delegation.