UDP Packet Hack

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jun 22 14:13:09 UTC 2016

In article <mailman.956.1466557592.73610.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Jun Xiang X Tee <jtee at purdue.edu> wrote:

>   (1) Does "dig" get its UDP packets from "named" server? Or "lwresd" server?
>   Or others?

If you use the @server argument, it gets it from that server. Otherwise,
it gets it from a server in your resolver configuration
(/etc/resolv.conf on Unix).

>   (2) For hacking purpose, I should work on BIND9 source codes. I don't need
>   to install BIND9 using "apt-get install", right?

Right, that just installs the binaries.

>   (3) Lastly, the most important question: How should I configure DNS server
>   for "dig"?
>
>         What I am doing now is going into "bin/dig" folder and run something
>         like "./dig google.com".
>
>         I think what I should do is "./dig @chosen_DNS_server google.com",
>         but I do not know how to configure the server.

The default configuration of a DNS server should work for this. You only
need to add extra configuration if your server will be authoritative for
some domains, but your server just recurses (and adds extra data to the
response).

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA