Unable to understand why a different A record response being sent by bind

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Mon Jun 20 15:22:15 UTC 2016

On 20.06.16 13:05, Harshith Mulky wrote:
>I have the following Records in my Zone file

>denver1.test10.com.  IN A    10.54.80.17

test10.com clearly does not belong here...

>denver2.test1.com.  IN A    10.54.80.150
>  IN A    10.54.80.35

>When I am doing a dig for the record denver2.test1.com. for A

>;; ANSWER SECTION:
>denver2.test1.com.  600     IN      A       10.54.80.150
>denver2.test1.com.  600     IN      A       10.54.80.35

>1. I am not able to understand why this answer is being Received
>denver2.test1.com.  600     IN      A       10.54.80.35
>as I have not configured any owner-name for the record type

that's it, if you don't specify owner name, the last one will apply

>2. If there is no owner-name specified in the DNS Records, what owner-name does the record actually pick?

the one previously used, so you can define multiple RRs for the same owner
name without repeating is. It's the same as:

>@  IN      SOA     atlanta.test1.com. admin.test1.com.  (
>                                      2003022720 ; Serial
>                                      56800      ; Refresh
>                                      14400      ; Retry
>                                      3600000    ; Expire
>                                      2h )    ; Minimum
>
>              IN      NS      atlanta.test1.com.

the first owner name "@" (this means the one specified in bing config, is
also used for NS record for the current zone.

btw you should use example.com instead of test1.com for examples...

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.