BIND 9 API & GUI

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Tue Jul 26 00:40:59 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 03:36:06PM -0600, Kirk wrote:
> I have been looking for a way to provide both an API and a GUI
> interface for my multi-master/slave BIND infrastructure.
>
> There are obviously many GUI options, but finding a solution that
> will allow for external programs to add/change/delete records
> (API),

See the nsupdate(1) manual; also RFC 2136 and the BIND 9 ARM chapter
4.

> and allow administrators to manually make the same kinds of changes
> (GUI) without each process interfering with each other has proven
> more difficult than I expected.

Features which would work well behind a GUI frontend exist, and more
are coming in BIND 9.11.  See the rndc(8) manual and the various
commands it has.

The rndc *zone commands (addzone, delzone, modzone) will improve the
experience of running a master/slave group of nameservers, as will
the "catalog zones" feature which is in planning stages.

> This seems like it would be a common need, and I can't be the only
> one in this "bind".
>
> Has anyone else solved this problem?

Dynamic update of zone data was solved with RFC2136,  April 1997
(over 19 years ago!)

Various commercial DNS appliance vendors have implemented GUI
frontends, but those are now within reach of mere mortals.
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/