Sending extra info in bind dns query packet

Darcy Kevin (FCA) kevin.darcy at fcagroup.com
Fri Jul 15 00:13:36 UTC 2016

Sachin,
                I strongly suggest that you consider other methods to accomplish what you’re trying to achieve. You seem to have latched onto one particular method to reach your goal – modifying the contents of the DNS request and/or response packets – but this amounts to changing the DNS protocol. There is no BIND configuration “tweak” to accomplish it – you’d have to hack on code (probably the code for both the client and server sides). This is a significant undertaking, and if you’ve never hacked on BIND code before, prepare yourself for a steep learning curve.

If all you’re trying to do – as someone surmised in another post – is control client access to resources, then it should be possible to leverage existing non-DNS technologies and resources for this (firewalls, proxies, etc. configured with appropriate ACLs), or, as also suggested, RPZ. Why reinvent the wheel?

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                - Kevin

[FCA_Pantone_email]
Kevin Darcy
NAFTA Information Security Projects