Adding rdataset to a List

Mukund Sivaraman muks at isc.org
Fri Jul 1 03:27:01 UTC 2016

Hi Jun

On Fri, Jul 01, 2016 at 02:56:48AM +0000, Jun Xiang X Tee wrote:
> Dear all,
>

>   I set up named server, and my dig client can connect to the server
>   successfully. For a UDP packet, I wish to add an artificial rdataset
>   to name list of Additional Section. Note that this question may look
>   similar to my previous posts, but it is a total different question
>   (I have solved the old questions):

It is not clear what you are attempting to do from a high level, but
what you are describing in great detail seems weird to a person familiar
with DNS.

I strongly recommend taking a different poster's advice on an earlier
email posting of yours, and read some books on DNS first to get a basic
understanding.

In an earlier email, you say you want to modify a UDP reply datagram to
add RRs in the additional section that can be seen in Wireshark. A UDP
reply is sent by a DNS nameserver, not "dig". dig is a DNS client. It
sends out query messages and _prints_ replies after receiving them. You
will not be able to see any replies modified inside dig in a Wireshark
packet capture - they do not go out on the network again. They will only
show up in the dig output, but nothing else on the network will be
affected by it.

It is not clear what you're attempting to do. Based on your questions
from earlier emails, I suggest reading this book before you proceed to
modifying BIND code:

http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/

		Mukund