Bind9 on VMWare

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Jan 13 21:02:26 UTC 2016

Am 13.01.2016 um 19:54 schrieb Mike Hoskins (michoski):
> I've ran several large DNS infras over the years.  Back in 2005/6 I
> finally drank the koolaid and migrated a large caching infra
> (authoritative was kept on bare metal) to VMWare+Linux

i would be careful compare 2005/2006 with now for a lot of reasons

* before vSphere 5.0 VMkernel was a 32bit kernel while capable
   running 64 bit guests with 10 GB RAM but still a lot of magic

* 2005/2006 a large part was binary translation while now
   you need a x86_64 host with VT-support

* in 2006 vmxnet3 was not available not was it for a long time
   included in the mainline linux kernel while now any paravirt
   drivers are in the stock kernel