Extracting stats from BIND XML stats file : issues

blrmaani blrmaani at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 19:34:07 UTC 2016

Hi,
  I am trying to get Ipv4 query rate for our DNS server. I am taking 2 snapshots with a delay of 60 seconds between these snapshots.

curl <dns-server>:<port>   > /tmp/snapshot1.xml
sleep 60
curl <dns-server>:<port>   > /tmp/snapshot2.xml

I am calculating queryrate as below

query_rate = (Queryv4_value2 - Queryv4_value1) / (current_time2 - current_time1)

where Queryv4 values are the values extracted from XML file and current_time are the values from XML files ( and I am converting this to epoch to get number of seconds between these snapshots which is typically 60 seconds)

        <current-time>2012-08-07T21:47:36Z</current-time>

Here is the issue:
I am sending approx 200 'A' queries to the DNS server and my above calculation is showing a value of 2 queries-per-second.

What am I doing wrong?

thanks
Blr