named.conf Default Location?

Konstantin Stefanov cstef at parallel.ru
Wed Jan 13 10:48:14 UTC 2016

On 12.01.2016 20:29, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> I have two FreeBSD 10 machines on which I have installed the bind99 port.
>
> The manpage for named on machine 1 says that it looks for the named.conf
> by default in /usr/local/etc/namedb.  Machine 2's manpage says it looks
> in /etc/namedb.
>
> Which is correct?  Is the /etc/namedb symlink even needed anymore?
Are they freshly installed FreeBSD 10 or were update to ver 10 from 9 or
earlier? In FreeBSD 9 there was in-base named which had config at
/et/namedb. Maybe the manpage on one of the machines is from earlier
versions? Try man -a named.conf and see if there are other vresions of
man page.

By default bind99 port uses /usr/local/etc/namedb, but it used to have
REPLACE_BASE option, which instructed it to use /etc/namedb, so you may
check it.

--
Konstantin Stefanov,

Research Computing Center