Allow-Query=any

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Jan 7 21:31:43 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 3:25 PM Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 07.01.2016 um 21:18 schrieb G.W. Haywood:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > On Thu, 7 Jan 2016, Reindl Harald wrote:
> >
> >> ... when somebody wants a information which exists in
> >> the DNS he can ask for that information - unconditionally
>
> you don't get it
>
> if i want to ask for your SOA or NS-records then i ask for them
>
> there is *NO POINT* you can prohibit that unless you need a working
> nameserver and the only thing you *could* achieve is that i need more
> queries than normally needed raising the load on your own namesever
>
> what would happen if you can achieve it:
>
> * in the best case no difference
> * in the worst case broken clients and degraded service
>
> prohibit things just for the sake of prohibit them is clueless,
> dangerous and unless you have a *real good* reason for your goal you
> should ask yourself if you *really* have the knowledge to maintain
> public nameservers - sorry - impossible to say that more polite
>
> > laptop3:~$ >>> dig -t any lloyds.co.uk
>
> tells me that there is another clueless idiot degrading services as it
> often happens - the larger the comapny the more foolish admins
>
> WHAT do the gain with it?
> NOTHING

Reindl, did you read the draft referred to in the HINFO? (
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-refuse-any/ ). It clearly
outlines the reasons that cloudfare is doing this. This document was
discussed in the DNSOP WG, and was presented at a few meetings.
The consensus within the DNSOP WG was to adopt and work on the draft, so I
object to your characterization of this as "another clueless idiot
degrading services" at a large company.
Olafur and Joe (the authors of this) are far from clueless idiots.
In addition, please try to moderate your tone - people come to the BIND
Users list for assistance - your argumentative (and often insulting) posts
are not helpful to building a community.