Moving dynamic zones to new master+slave pair without interruptions

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu Jan 7 07:41:13 UTC 2016

Hi Tony,

Thank you for the suggestions!

On Wed, 2016-01-06 at 16:05 +0000, Tony Finch wrote:
> * Set up a new hidden master, with copies of your zones. (See below)
>
> * Change your existing servers to slave from the new hidden master
> instead of the old master. Reconfigure the old master to be a slave
> of the new one.

Wouldn't this ruin dynamic updates from the DHCP servers? These updates
need to be sent to the master. I could of course configur™e "allow-
update-forwarding". Manually specifying the hidden master in the DHCP
configuration seems clumsy.

> You don't need to worry about the data on disk on your existing
> slaves. They will continue to serve the same data, they will just
> xfer changes from a different master.

This made my think... Maybe I could just AXFR from the running slave
and use the output as zone files on the master. As far as I can see
this should Just Work™.

> My program nsdiff (http://dotat.at/prog/nsdiff) is useful for copying
> dynamic zones from from an existing master to a new master without
> faffing around with `rndc freeze`.

Nice. :-) Perfect for copying changes without touching the files. I'll
take a thorough look at it.

--
Peter Rathlev