A Zone Transfer Question

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Feb 23 18:40:59 UTC 2016

Am 23.02.2016 um 18:48 schrieb Darcy Kevin (FCA):
> Let's be transparent here: reverse lookups are not a formal requirement, and, if I'm not mistaken, not even officially published as a Best Practice. Many folks don't bother with them.

but most network services are doing reverse lookups and caching of
NXDOMAIN is typically lower than a successful response

> Having said that, they are *very* useful, and I insist on them wherever possible.
>
> whatever decision has been made in terms of reverse-record ambiguity. Our homegrown system handles this in a very inflexible, embedded way, as per decisions we made years ago. But a commercial product should be flexible enough to handle a wide variety of choices.

nothing easier than that even for a homegrown system

* database
* each A record get a auto-increment
* the first A-record defines the PTR
* if you *really*  want to switch - just delete
   both A and re-create in the order you want

works for many years and some hundret zones like a charm