Tuning for lots of SERVFAIL responses

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Feb 22 10:29:59 UTC 2016

Grant Taylor <gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net> wrote:

> Is there anything that the networking team can do to help alleviate some of
> the pain?  I.e. make sure that equipment returns no route to host error
> messages?  Will this make named abort queries before they would otherwise
> timeout?

Dunno :-)

One of the outages we had was due to a large DDoS attack against JANET
which meant we only had partial connectivity; some things worked, some
didn't, but our DNS resolvers were particularly badly affected. So though
you might be able to get your network to return ICMP failures quickly if
you have lost connectivity cleanly, that might not make sense in a dirty
outage.

Tony.
Viking: Northerly or northwesterly 6 to gale 8. Rough or very rough,
occasionally high later. Wintry showers. Good, occasionally poor.