A Zone Transfer Question

John Miller johnmill at brandeis.edu
Sat Feb 20 03:04:38 UTC 2016

On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 9:26 PM, Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> In article <mailman.268.1455921931.73610.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
>  John Miller <johnmill at brandeis.edu> wrote:
>
>> And if you actually want people to use your zone or you want NOTIFY
>> working, two NS records (and possibly glue) are really a must.
>
> He mentioned that these are internal nameservers, they're not reached
> via public delegation. So NS records are probably irrelevant to how
> they're used by clients.

Fair enough.  There's certainly no need for two NS records if nobody's
following delegation here.  In the case of dynamic updates, one NS
record might actually be better: there's no worrying about update
forwarding between slave and master.

Will a zone even load with zero NS records?  It's not something I've
ever tried, though probably should for grins.

John