pre heat cache

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Wed Feb 17 19:52:41 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 11:31:54AM -0800, William Taylor wrote:
> Is there anyway to pre-heat the cache in bind on startup besides having
> a custom script that did a bunch of queries on top hosts?
> I know you can dump it with rndc but can you load it back ?

One way to achieve this is to have two nameserver and balance them behind
dnsdist with the default 'leastOutstanding' policy. This means that as your
server heats up its cache, it will only progressively get more traffic. This
provides good end-user experience.

http://dnsdist.org/

Preloading a cache has been considered by various implementations and
generally causes more downtime/delay than heating up the cache to the point
it has all relevant entries.

	Bert