separation of authoritative and recursive functions on internal networks

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Feb 16 01:37:53 UTC 2016

On 02/07/2016 04:12 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Warn     SOA MNAME entry     WARNING: SOA MNAME
> (tncsrv06.tnetconsulting.net) is not listed as a primary nameserver at
> your parent nameserver!

I know that this is a late reply, but I just ran across something that
relates to this:

Per section 6.8 of "DNS Delegation Requirements" (Internet-Draft)
(http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-wallstrom-dnsop-dns-delegation-requirements-00.txt)
states the following:

> 6.8. SOA MNAME MUST be authoritative for the zone

Check.

> The hostname of the MNAME field may or *may not be listed among
> the delegated name servers*, but SHOULD still be authoritative
> for the zone. MNAME may be used for other services, e.g., DNS
> NOTIFY [RFC1996] and DNS Dynamic Updates [RFC2136].

So, per current Internet-Draft for delegation, the SOA MNAME is not
required to be listed as a NS.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die