DNS Server goofiness

David Hornsby davidh at carolinaky.com
Thu Feb 4 20:29:55 UTC 2016

I am having an issue with an authoritative dns server that sits behind a nat. I have replicated this problem on two different servers on different versions of bind which is why I am now perplexed. In the zone file the LAN address of the server has an A record. When the server is queried directly from the LAN, the server replies with its LAN address. Just as expected. However when the record is queried from through the fw the server replies with its public ip address. Which I can only guess it's getting by doing a reverse on the NS record that pointed it there in the first place??? This only happens on the record with an IP address which matches the server's lan address.
$nslookup dc01 192.168.1.254
Server: 192.168.1.254
Address: 192.168.1.254#53

Name: dc01.home.carolinaky.com