frequent queries to root servers

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Mon Feb 1 10:39:46 UTC 2016

In article <mailman.149.1454190043.73610.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Grant Taylor <gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net> wrote:

> I think chained CNAMEs fall into the gray area (no mans land) between
> zealots on either side of the RFC interpretation line.
>
> If chained CNAMEs work for you, more power to you.  But don't be
> surprised if they fail unexpectedly at some point.

We should be warning those niche players Microsoft and Akamai.

$ dig www.microsoft.com

; <<>> DiG 9.8.5-P1 <<>> www.microsoft.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 4, AUTHORITY: 8, ADDITIONAL: 8

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.microsoft.com.     IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.microsoft.com.   846   IN CNAME www.microsoft.com-c.edgekey.net.
www.microsoft.com-c.edgekey.net. 1362 IN CNAME
www.microsoft.com-c.edgekey.net.globalredir.akadns.net.
www.microsoft.com-c.edgekey.net.globalredir.akadns.net.  2897 IN  CNAME
e10088.dspb.akamaiedge.net.
e10088.dspb.akamaiedge.net. 6 IN A  2.18.4.103

[snip]

Sam

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.