Question about dynamic IPv6-PTR-Generation

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Aug 27 21:49:15 UTC 2016

>It is true at first glance the regex-esque syntax in our I-D may seem a
>bit complex but I don't believe anywhere near the complexity of NAPTR

None of the complexity of NAPTR is in the DNS or the DNS servers; it's
all in the applications that use NAPTR.  For DNS servers, NAPTR is
just a record it handles the way it does any other normal record, like
A or HINFO.

This draft requires every DNS server to change the semantics of
wildcards, change the way DNSSEC signatures are computed, and
introduces new RRTYPEs that don't work in existing servers the way RFC
3597 says they should.  Ain't gonna happen.

Really, if you want to do generic rDNS for IPv6, use a specialized
server like we do for DNSBLs.  rbldnsd is open source, everyone uses
it, so you can start with that.

R's,
John