Need of caching on bind server

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Aug 25 16:17:53 UTC 2016

In article <mailman.43.1472100432.74444.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Harshith Mulky <harshith.mulky at outlook.com> wrote:

> I am trying to understand why caching is required on the bind server, when
> the client receiving the responses would be caching based on TTL values.

A typical caching server has multiple clients. If they're an ISP, it
will have thousands of clients, and public DNS servers like OpenDNS and
Google DNS it may have hundreds of thousands. So even if the clients
have caches of their own (which many do not), the cache is useful so
that when different clients look up the same name they can be returned
from cache.

For example, consider all the thousands of lookups for things like
google.com, twitter.com, etc. that an ISP receives every second. If they
didn't cache these responses, DNS traffic might rival YouTube (OK,
that's an exaggeration).

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA