Slaves or Forwarders?

Darcy Kevin (FCA) kevin.darcy at fcagroup.com
Tue Aug 23 21:29:31 UTC 2016

>From an InfoSec standpoint, of course one would prefer to use cryptographic methods of securing DNS data, but, in the absence of that, slaving could, arguably, be considered more secure than forwarding, in the sense that forwarding usually generates more network transactions, over time, for any given resolution of any given name, and thus more chances for a bad guy to successfully spoof a response and have that forged answer be cached.

One could also eke out a small measure of extra security (again, if cryptographic methods are for some reason unavailable) by turning off IXFR and thus causing all zone transfers to occur with AXFR, which is TCP-based and thus presumably harder to spoof. But, that's a heavy price to pay for a small increment of extra security. Better to go for crypto, at that point, either within the DNS protocol itself (e.g. TSIG, DNSSEC), by implementing (as many have) an out-of-band method of replicating zone data (e.g. rsync-over-ssh, Infoblox-style "grid replication" over OpenVPN tunnels) or by securing *all* communication between nameserver instances (e.g. IPSEC tunnels).

											- Kevin