creating IPv6 interface eth0 failed; interface ignored

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Aug 22 13:28:52 UTC 2016

On 22/08/16 13:07, Tony Finch wrote:

> Alternatively, maybe you could add something to the ExecStartPre in the
> unit file to poll `ip addr show` until all the expected interface
> addresses are present, so that named doesn't start until the rest of the
> system has untangled its legs.

I've run into similar things. We have a listen-on, and named gets
started after the network. However, the IPv6 addresses go through the
"tentative" state for a few seconds and can't be listened on during that
phase.

Our local sysvinit script has this in it:

   if [ -x /sbin/ip ]; then
     # hold off for a few seconds if any
     # IPv6 addresses are tentative / in DAD
     for attempt in 1 2 3 4; do