change response cache ttl (--enable-cache-ttl)

SUKMOON LEE smlee at sk.com
Fri Aug 5 03:59:48 UTC 2016

> In message <f6a85647247a48639aaa40cb86b42772 at mxph4chrw.fgremc.it>, "Darcy
> Kevin (FCA)"
>  writes:
> > That's only a problem if the clients are constantly looking up the
> > name, right? If they're looking it up only _occasionally_, with some
> > degree of entropy, then the query load gets spread out.
>
> Provided there isn't multiple caches involved.
>
> > So, in those cases, implement something on the client side that
> > pre-expires the cache entry with some degree of randomness factored in.
> > Pre-expiring cache entries is entirely within the standards and the
> > original concept of how DNS response caching works (since, after all,
> > dumping one's cache can't be prevented if the client restarts or
> > reboots). Sure, pre-expiration may result in an overall increase in
> > query traffic, but it smooths out the spikes to the intermediate
> > resolvers, which is what we're worried about here. In time, the data
> > owners will catch on that their cache entries are being pre-expired;
> > if they care about that, they'll bump up the TTLs to compensate,
> > eventually we reach a point of equilibrium.
>
> Or named reduces the ttl returned so it randomly hits in the prefetch
> interval.  Or add a counter to the rdataset and once so many queries for
> the rdataset have been made just prefetch it.  This will cause the ttl to
> be renewed and desyncronise down stream caches.  Or both.

Thanks for answer.

I think that a prefetch cache is a good idea.
A prefetch cache will be update a cache TTL.
So it is split to a client query.

But I find a prefetch option over BIND 9.10. BIND 9.9 is not found prefetch option.
Under BIND 9.10, I will test to do it. (prefetch vs --enable-cache-ttl)

Sukmoon Lee