NXDOMAIN but still get it...

Darcy Kevin (FCA) kevin.darcy at fcagroup.com
Wed Aug 3 20:00:26 UTC 2016

nslookup sucks.

What’s most likely happening is:

·         On your initial query, some sort of transient error is occurring while trying to resolve centos.mirror.iweb.ca, e.g. a timeout, a misconfigured server returning SERVFAIL, a delegated server not being authoritative, etc.

·         nslookup fails that query, then, behind the scenes (and unbeknownst to you) it starts searchlisting, e.g. looking up centos.mirror.iweb.ca.example.com. This results, as one might expect, in an NXDOMAIN

·         nslookup (mis)reports NXDOMAIN as the result of the overall lookup

You can turn on “-debug” to nslookup to see if this is what’s really happening.

Or, dump nslookup altogether and use a real DNS troubleshooting tool like “dig”.

                                                                                                                                                - Kevin