Adding CNAME for the root domain issue

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Apr 27 15:15:04 UTC 2016

In article <mailman.633.1461768150.73610.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 "Baird, Josh" <jbaird at follett.com> wrote:

> Any thoughts on a service like Cloudfare's 'CNAME Flattening' [1]?
>
> [1]
> https://blog.cloudflare.com/introducing-cname-flattening-rfc-compliant-cnames-
> at-a-domains-root/

Akamai has had a similar feature in their EDNS service for years.

One problem that features like this have is that they don't play nice
with CDN's, because the query for the target name comes from the auth
server for the domain rather than the original resolver. When I was at
Akamai, we only allowed this to be used to point to a server that
immediately sent an HTTP redirect to the subdomain, which could then be
managed using the normal load balancing algorithms.

That was 5 years ago, they may have since integrated the two services,
so that when resolving the CNAME it hooks into the CDN algorithms.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA