Adding CNAME for the root domain issue

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Wed Apr 27 15:10:46 UTC 2016

On 27 April 2016 at 07:42, Baird, Josh <jbaird at follett.com> wrote:

> Any thoughts on a service like Cloudfare's 'CNAME Flattening' [1]?
>
> [1]
> https://blog.cloudflare.com/introducing-cname-flattening-rfc-compliant-cnames-at-a-domains-root/

It's possible.  We do a similar thing at eNom... we allow end-users to
insert CNAME records at the apex of the zone in the UI, but then we replace
those with synthesized records.  It's far from ideal, however.  It means
you've either got to act partly like a recursive server and do back-end
lookups every time a CNAME query comes in, or you have to periodically
re-query every authoritative CNAME at the apex of your zones in order to
refresh the synthesized replacement records before the queries come in.
The former introduces latency, and the latter risks serving out-of-date
records and is a huge workload when you're our size.. or worse..
Cloudflare's size.