'succesful' nsupdate of remote server not persistent across nameserver restart?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sun Apr 24 21:29:18 UTC 2016

In message <1461526649.3652904.588164577.6D13144C at webmail.messagingengine.com>,
 jasonsu at mail-central.com writes:

> On Sun, Apr 24, 2016, at 12:20 PM, Anand Buddhdev wrote:
> > On 24/04/16 21:04, jasonsu at mail-central.com wrote:
> >
> > Hey Jason,
> >
> > > checking with dig, it's NOT in 'TXT' where I expected it
> > >
> > > 	dig TXT example.net +short
> > > 		(empty)
> >
> > You added a TXT record for the name test.example.net, but you're looking
> > for it at the name example.net. Of course you won't see the record! Try:
>
> Right, I added the TXT record for test.example.net ... to the zone file for t
> he parent domain, example.net
>
> >	 zone example.net.
> >	 update add test.example.net. 500 in TXT "TEST STRING"
>
> And it obviously shows up in the AXFR dig for 'just' example.net
>
> > dig txt test.example.net +short
>
> That comes back empty too.

Then there is a cached negative answer or there is also a test.example.net
zone on the server or the test zone isn't visible to the recursive server or

Try looking at a non +short answer.  There is lots more information in the
reply that you are just throwing away.  Try asking the authoritative server
directly.

	dig test.example.net @ns01.example.com txt

Mark