Recursive bind becomes unresponsive with high load

Mike Mitchell Mike.Mitchell at sas.com
Fri Apr 1 21:48:01 UTC 2016

Have you checked the Kernel's connection tracking statistics?
Here's a link:
https://kb.isc.org/article/AA-01183/0/Linux-connection-tracking-and-DNS.html

I've had to increase some network parameters on our busy nameservers. I put the following in /etc/sysctl.conf

net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_udp_timeout_stream = 45
net.nf_conntrack_max = 500000
net.ipv4.neigh.default.gc_thresh1 = 512
net.ipv4.neigh.default.gc_thresh2 = 1024
net.ipv4.neigh.default.gc_thresh3 = 2048
net.ipv4.tcp_max_syn_backlog = 4096
net.ipv4.tcp_fin_timeout = 30
net.ipv4.tcp_tw_recycle = 1

Mike Mitchell