Speeding up DNS change propagation

Danny Sinang d.sinang at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 18:35:49 UTC 2015

Hi,

Our vendor is changing their FTP server's IP address tomorrow.

1. How can I tell how long their DNS change will propagate to us ?

     a. Do I just run dig a "ftp.example.com" and look for the TTL for that
DNS entry ?
     b. Every time I run that command, the TTL is shrinking. How do I find
out the full TTL for it ?

2. Can I just restart BIND tomorrow to clear its cache and force it to
query the "example.com" name server for "ftp.example.com" (so as not to
wait for the propagation to reach us) ?

     - BIND is not set up to be a Forwarding Server

Regards,
Danny