How are DNS Records added dynamically in DNS Servers?

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Tue Sep 8 20:33:24 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-08 11:53, Robert Edmonds wrote:
> Mark Andrews wrote:
>> Because outlook.com's nameservers are not EDNS compliant which
>> breaks anyone attempting to use EDNS extensions unless they hack
>> around this.
> Some of their nameservers are not even compliant with RFC 2181 §5.2.
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;outlook.com.                   IN      NS
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> outlook.com.            172800  IN      NS      ns1a.o365filtering.com.
> outlook.com.            300     IN      NS      ns4a.o365filtering.com.
> outlook.com.            300     IN      NS      ns2a.o365filtering.com.
> outlook.com.            172800  IN      NS      ns2.msft.net.
> outlook.com.            172800  IN      NS      ns4.msft.net.
> outlook.com.            172800  IN      NS      ns1.msft.net.
> outlook.com.            172800  IN      NS      ns3.msft.net.

Also interesting, although not necessarily relevant, but there are at
least three different serial numbers being returned by those various
servers, with different TTLs on the NS records depending on which server
you query.

I wonder if they're in the process of updating and the records only
partially updated? Odd that it was served at all though.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/