Install BIND 9.9.7-P2 to fix vulnerability CVE-2015-5477

Timothe Litt litt at acm.org
Mon Sep 7 11:28:49 UTC 2015

> Subject:
> Install BIND 9.9.7-P2 to fix vulnerability CVE-2015-5477
> From:
> stavrostseriotis <StavrosTseriotis at semltd.com.cy>
> Date:
> 07-Sep-15 05:24
>
> To:
> bind-users at lists.isc.org
>

> Hello,
>

> I have a RedHat 5.11 machine and currently I am facing the issue with
> BIND vulnerability CVE-2015-5477. I cannot update my BIND using yum
> because I didn’t install BIND from RedHat at the first place so I need
> to do it manually.
>
> I downloaded the package of version 9.9.7-P2 from isc website but
> since it is not an rpm file I have to build it myself.
>
> I followed the instructions I found on website
> https://deepthought.isc.org/article/AA-00768/0/Getting-started-with-BIND-ho
> but it does not change the version of bind. I don’t know what I am
> doing wrong.
>
> I am wondering if you can give me a little guideline on how to build
> and install the new version.
>

> Thank you

"does not change the version of bind" - as reported how?  By named -V?
Or by a DNS query to version.bind CH TXT?

If the former, you probably have more than one named executable - with
the old one earlier in your PATH.  "which named" should help.  If the
latter, did you remember to restart named?  And did the restart
succeed?  And does your startup process have the same PATH as your
terminal?  (Often they do not.)

Re-read the instructions - and pay special attention to how you run
configure.  The default is to build/install in /usr/local/*bin - which
is not the default for most distributions' startup files.

I strongly recommend keeping track of each step as you build (a big
scrollback buffer helps).  Either write your own instructions, or turn
it into a script.  There are enough steps that it's easy to make a
mistake - and you will be re-building bind again to upgrade.  Plus, if
you ask for help, you will be able to provide the details of what you
did.  Without details of what you did and what you see, people can't
provide specific help.

Note that RedHat usually has a number of patches (often for SeLinux and
systemd) that you won't get if you build yourself from ISC sources.

Or remove bind and switch to the RedHat version.  You're paying RedHat
to do the maintenance, so unless you have local patches or very special
requirements, you might as well let them do the work.

Typically, if you really need the latest from ISC on RedHat you're
better off getting the SRC RPM from RedHat & modifying the rpmbuild
config file to fetch the latest ISC source, then build RPMs.  If you
stay with the same ISC code stream, you won't have too many patch
conflicts to resolve.  After you've done this once or twice, you'll want
to revisit you need for local changes - either decide they're not that
important, or offer them to ISC.  Maintaining a private version is work.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.