Final on - Re: A tale of two nameservers - resolution problems

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Sep 2 21:48:04 UTC 2015

I have learned a bit in the past time period.

First, adding a 2nd DNS server, in this case my ISP's, got around this
timing problem, becuase the 'right fix' is not available yet.

The answer is to stop using old ntpd and use modern chronyd.  But more
than that, ver 2.1.1 which is available in Fedora 22, but not (yet) in
Centos 7 (perhaps 7.2).  You start chrony with the -s option; this tells
it you have a bad, or no rtc, and to regularly save the time to a file
which is read when chrony starts up.  I have tested this out on F22 and
it works as advertised.

There is also systemd-timesync, but Fedora/redhat went the chrony route,
and I got more help figuring it out.

On to the next fun challenge.