response to SOA query was unsuccessful

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Sep 2 01:34:39 UTC 2015

In message <55E64E21.8090209 at runbox.com>, Ken Peng writes:
> Hello,
>
> I met a strange issue with adding a zone to BIND that I can't understand
> for, :)
>
> I have two nameservers, say they are:
>
> ns1.example.com
> ns2.example.com
>
> There are dozens of zones resolved by these two.
>
> But, the zone example.com itself is resolved by registrar's DNS servers.
> For example,
>
> example.com.        10800   IN      NS      ns1.registrar.net.
> example.com.        10800   IN      NS      ns2.registrar.net.
>
> Now I want to change the zone to be resolved by ns1.example.com and
> ns2.example.com.
>
> Before change the glues in registrar's control panel, I edited
> named.conf and added a zone file to /var/cache/bind/ for example.com,
> reload BIND in master. It seems fine. But when I tried to add a record
> to this zone via nsupdate, it got failed, the log shows:
>
> [20150828142228] response to SOA query was unsuccessful
>
> [20150828142228] response to SOA query was unsuccessful
>
> [20150828142231] response to SOA query was unsuccessful
>
> [20150828142231] response to SOA query was unsuccessful
>
> Why this happens and how to fixup it? Thanks.

First thing.  Stop this example.com garbage.  If you want people to
help you give them real names.  That way they can go and test the
servers involved and give you specific answers.

* Did you read the logs on the servers and correct any errors reported?
* Did you check that they were actually serving the new zone?
* Did you point nsupdate at the correct servers?  You are in the process of
  moving them so the automatic discovery of the servers won't work.