Solved - Re: A tale of two nameservers - resolution problems

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Sep 1 17:36:19 UTC 2015

On 09/01/2015 12:16 PM, Sam Wilson wrote:
> In article <mailman.2626.1441122408.26362.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
>   Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>
>> I will be looking more into this.  Obvious when you get ones nose
>> dragged into time wrong on boot.  This is actually a broader problem on
>> arm SoC booting.  Your logs all have the wrong time for the boot
>> messages until there is a network to get time.  I have some ideas for a
>> process that will set time a boot to the time of the last poweroff.  at
>> least that is 'close enough' for starters.
> I believe that's the solution Apple adopted for the AppleTV, which has
> no rtc and couldn't use a certificate to connect to a wireless network
> because the certificate wasn't valid in 1970.

On the Fedora-arm list I was told about systemd-timesyncd.

Much better for these systems than chronyd which is suppose to be the
replacement for ntpdate...

I am looking into this; it sounds exactly what I need.  Plus when you
make your os image you can:

touch /<mount>/var/lib/systemd/clock
chown systemd-timesync:systemd-timesync /<mount>/var/lib/systemd/clock

And firstboot will have a rather current time.

Oh course this assumes the image builders include systemd-timesync as
part of the base install.