A tale of two nameservers - resolution problems

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Sep 1 13:31:23 UTC 2015

On 09/01/2015 09:20 AM, John Miller wrote:
> If you check pcap, logs, etc., is the server's following delegation
> for 0.centos.pool.ntp.org? Where do outbound packets stop?

I don't believe this and I have some serious problems.

Part of my challenge is I am running the new server on an armv7 board
that does not have a rtc.  So when the system boots, the time is jan 1
1970.  The first thing you want to run is ntp to set the time, but
requires named running and resolving.

For the 'fun' of it, I used 'date' to set the time to now, and then no
problem resolving 0.centos.pool.ntp.org.  So there is something about
that resolution that does not like the early date.

So I am caught in a time bind here!

Is there anyway to get bind not to be particular about system time at first?